Job Posted: October 21, 2021
Evoco, Ltd is located in the MaRS Discovery District in downtown Toronto and has an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated, sustainability-minded Materials Engineer to participate in our projects focusing on the development of high-performance biomaterials.
At Evoco, we have developed and commercialized high-performance polyurethane (PU) foams with the highest bio-content in the global footwear market. We are looking to rapidly grow and further expand into other market verticals using our biomaterial platform for various industrial and commercial applications.
Evoco promotes a challenging and creative work environment where innovation is at the core of our success. We are seeking an experienced Materials Engineer to join our team.
We are looking for an analytical focused individual who will lead research and development projects involving lab scale trials to mass-manufacturing of plant-based polyurethane products. You will maintain and improve existing products and procedures and help develop new formulations based on required properties specific to their industrial applications. You will be required to perform formulation and pre-formulation experiments, perform and evaluate mechanical testing according to ASTM, ISO, and other relevant standards, develop sustainable SOPs, maintain laboratory equipment in impeccable working order and assist all Evoco R&D efforts as needed.
You will have the opportunity to actively participate in all stages of projects from the initial planning to product launch.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Hands-on development of new flexible polyurethane formulations using a methodical, scientific approach.
- Hands-on optimization of existing polyurethane formulations to target desired properties and manufacturing process requirements.
- Support the technology transfer from R&D to manufacturing in North America and overseas.
- Productively troubleshoot manufacturing problems and lab experiments. Analyze technical data and documents and provide project updates and recommendations to the project leader.
- Support Quality Assurance and Control (QA/QC) of in- and outbound materials and formulations.
- Compilation, evaluation, interpretation and reporting of experimental results to ensure the objectives of each project are met.
- Ensure all work is performed in compliance with cGMP, GLP and established Safe Work Practices (SWP).
- Continuously review and develop SOPs and proactively help manage formulation operations.
- Evaluate prospective literature, procedures and protocols to determine technical feasibility and project scope
- Collaborate with external partners, such as universities and research centres, to achieve project goals.
Required Education and Expertise:
- Minimum of B.Sc. degree (and 2+ years industrial experience) OR M.Sc. degree in chemical engineering, materials science, or related scientific discipline.
- Strong polymer and formulation background, with focus on polyurethane elastomers and foams, is strongly preferred.
- Industrial experience with polyurethane formulation development for various end-use applications, such as footwear and apparel, is strongly preferred.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Possess a methodical approach to scientific and applied research and product development.
- Attention to detail with clear and complete documentation skills.
- Flexible work attitude with the ability to adapt, respond quickly and manage change in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to work with minimal supervision and maintaining good and effective communication with internal stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively as a key part of a diverse team.
- Time management with the ability to maintain focus on productive tasks to be completed within specified timelines.
- Fluency in English (written and verbal) and excellent communication skills are a must.
Evoco is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity in our workforce. Successful applicant must be eligible to work in Canada. Only select candidates will be contacted.
Please email any questions and resumes to with the job title as the subject line