Job Posted: November 4, 2021
WE ARE GROWING!!
Evoco is a cleantech company that specializes in disruptive renewable plant-based chemistry, materials and products. Our mission is to close the loop on unsustainable goods for good. It’s the reason we were founded and why we make the choices we do. We are located in downtown Toronto at the Mars Discovery District.
Our growing company is seeking a dynamic, motivated and passionate environmental sustainability individual to join our R&D team as the Senior Organic Chemist.
Are you creative, organized, and goal-oriented with a passion for start-ups, innovation and Sustainable Minds’ mission? Are you a self-motivated leader? Do you adapt to changing environments and timelines?
Then we invite you to apply!
We are seeking a highly motivated senior-level Organic Chemist to join our team working on various renewable projects, including the synthesis of new plant-based chemistries and polymers. The highly qualified individual is expected to have experience in modern organic synthesis with great laboratory skills and high productivity. Key aspects of the role are working within a team structure, proposing and executing synthetic routes, and engaging in troubleshooting exercises when needed. The successful candidate will report to the Chief Technology Officer and CEO.
- Design and synthesize novel plant-based chemistry and polymers
- Support synthesis scale-up efforts and other tech transfer protocols
- Optimize existing polyurethane formulations to target desired mechanical properties and manufacturing process requirements
- Develop and establish an Intellectual Property portfolio including the preparation of patents
- Analyze technical data and documents and provide recommendations and planning for subsequent experiments
- Oversee a variety of project and experiments with effective project planning and communication to Senior Management
- Provide technical support to supply chain and internal stakeholders for both North America and Overseas manufacturing needs
- Ensures that all work is performed in compliance with the applicable SOPs, GMP, GLP and established Safe Work Practices (SWP)
- Review the compilation, evaluation, interpretation and reporting of experimental results to ensure the objectives of each project are met
- Evaluate prospective literature, procedures and protocols to determine technical feasibility and project scope
- Patent, Government grant application, and project proposal
- Any other responsibilities assigned by CEO/CTO
- Must have a Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry;
- Strong knowledge of and experience in current synthetic methods;
- Strong Knowledge of organic chemistry and the structure, composition and
properties of materials, with a strong emphasis on polymers.
- Knowledge of good laboratory and safety practices
- Excellent knowledge of lab and pilot-scale apparatus and process set up for synthesis and polymerization reactions.
- Knowledge of analytical equipment and requirements to support synthesis and polymerization experiments
- Excellent written, organizational and documentation skills;
- Oral and written communication skills in order to interact both with scientists and with non-scientists
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office including programs for planning and resource management.
- Proactive with strong interpersonal skills; able to thrive in a team-based environment;
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and creatively problem solve;
- Ability to communicate progress effectively with colleagues and managers;
- Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada and currently residing in Ontario, preferably the GTA and within commuting distance of downtown Toronto (Canadian citizen, permanent resident or work permit).
- Knowledge and passion for sustainability
- Natural curiosity to investigate issues, conduct research, design solutions and translate results into business practices.
- Self-motivated and organized; able to simultaneously work on multiple assignments and work both independently and on teams.
- Desire to help companies succeed in an environmentally sustainable manner
Evoco is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in the workplace. Our team is built on diversity, equity and inclusion. We value our entire team’s backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. If you require an accommodation to participate in our hiring process, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us to make your needs known in advance.
We thank all candidates for their interest and time; however, only those most qualified for the role will be contacted.
Please email any questions and resumes to with the job title as the subject line